Leitrim County Council will this year provide 26 new social housing units. Developments underway include 7 units at Taobh Taoire Manorhamilton for completion in 2018. These new build homes, together with 19 targeted for acquisition and lease by the Council, will add 26 new units to social housing stock in the local authority area by the end of the year. Delivering these homes means that Leitrim County Council will once again meet the council’s target under the Rebuilding Ireland plan. Further to this 27 units at Autumn View Carrick on Shannon will commence construction in early 2019.
Leitrim County Council is running a week-long information campaign to highlight the ongoing work of the council to provide social housing solutions and to facilitate increased building in the public and private sector.
Speaking on the issue of social housing delivery in Leitrim, Mr Lar Power, Chief Executive said he is confident that Leitrim County Council will achieve targets set for the local authority under Rebuilding Ireland 2018 – 2021 and in the last year has reduced its housing list by 14% to 320 households. He said “We are getting on top of the housing supply issue, are adding to the stock we have available for social housing by delivering new units, and by acquiring or leasing existing units. We are building and refurbishing homes to a quality standard with high levels of energy efficiency and in sustainable communities as part of our primary objective of place-making in County Leitrim. We are collaborating closely with housing bodies in the County to deliver housing units and sustain tenancies in the long term”
· Since 2016 Leitrim County Council has built or acquired 57 new housing units including 6 in collaboration with Approved Housing Bodies (AHBs)
· A further 57 have been delivered through the Rental Accommodation and Leasing schemes
· 84 properties that were long term vacant and in a poor state of repair have been returned tio productive use to a high quality of energy efficiency and finish
· 175 households have moved into local authority provided housing since 2016
· A further 225 households have had their housing need met in Leitrim through the Housing Assistance Payment scheme since 2016